A Gathering of University Gap Funds and Accelerators | Industry | Investors
July 11 | Minneapolis, MN
MSP Star Tribune Online: Corporate researchers look at providing ‘gap funds’ to university entrepreneurs and inventors
MSP Star Tribune Print: Minneapolis conference to explore ‘gap funds’ phenomenon
Event Press Release: Twin Cities to host first summit connecting university tech and startup funds with industry and investors
Conversation that leads to collaboration
University POC/startup/venture gap fund and accelerator summit
A full afternoon best practice summit for current and aspiring university-affiliated gap fund and accelerator programs, and those corporations and investors looking to tap in for insights and future innovation.
- We will do a rapid showcase of university gap fund and accelerator program structures and a breakout to discuss current challenges.
- Industry/Investor participants will have the option to talk about their approach to university partnerships and interest areas
- Conversation will be supplemented with data from the new Mind the Gap Report, containing insights and metrics from 119 funds from 75 research institutions. The Report will be publicly released at Summit and participants will receive access.
- Source and sustainability
- Program and process tactics
- Support programs, mentorship, and advisory boards
- Impact measures
Breaks for refreshments and networking!
University-Industry-Investor Collaboration Reception
A primary goal of this event is to bring together university-industry-investors to discuss opportunities for collaborations, especially through existing university gap funds and accelerator programs. No better place to start than a rooftop in July!
We will briefly use a specialized format to insure that everyone has an opportunity to meet. Industry and Investor groups will be actively intermingled with participating universities by tech interest areas.
Then we will toss any format and just mingle! This will be a concentrated group of global tech and startup leadership interested in jump-starting collaborations.
Drink and food served.
Reports and Takeaways
All attending research institutions will have the opportunity to submit active proof of concept projects and startups seeking capital, mentorship, or advisory support. This report and a link to a deeper database of opportunities will be available at the event.
Our hope is that industry and investor partners use this information both at the event and following to initiate partnerships.
Release of Mind the Gap Report
Public release and review of new best practice study of 119 gap fund programs at 75 research institutions. Report covers:
- Raising and sustaining funds
- Process management and tactics
- Accelerator and support programs
- Impact and ROI
All participants will receive access to full report.
UBS Financial Services
- NEW: DC Angels/National Angels USA
- New Orleans BioFund
- + 2 Family Offices seeking alternative investments
- + 10 Angels actively investing in early-stage startups
Registered Participant Overview
University Fund/Accelerator Program Snapshot
Alignment Between Industry/Investor Interests and University Strengths
Logistics and Transportation
Airport: MSP (Minneapolis-St.Paul International Airport)
Airport is a 15 minute Uber, Lyft, or cab ride to the event/hotel area
Hotels: There is a large density of hotels around the Barnes & Thornburg event location.
Three suggestions (marked on map):
- Best practice event will take place at Barnes & Thornburg, LLC offices in Capella Tower. Please arrive 15 min early with ticket/photo id to clear security
- Snacks/refreshments covered at best practice event, Drinks and food covered at reception